a favorite foto

Thursday, December 8, 2011

random memory #2

I remember going to various farms every summer with my parents, Babushka,  local aunts & uncles to pick fruits.
There were uncles aunts, parents and Babushka all on ladders plucking apples, pears, whatever was in season. My sister and my job was to pick up any fruit that fell to the ground and put it the baskets. Then we were relegated to picking strawberries that to this day I can not find a strawberry that tasted as heavenly as they did those days. They were sweet and warm from the sun. We ate more than we picked and always got reprimanded that there would be none left for home. We came home with bushels of apples, pears, peaches,apricots, plums cherries....Again my Babushka pulled out the heavy machinery and made gallons of jams, compotes, pies, gigantic bottles of wine with the cherries swirling at the bottom. But ohhhh the cherry filled varenyky were the best and my summer favorite!!! The relatives all got their goods after Babushka finished and we lived happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment