a favorite foto

Thursday, December 8, 2011

random memory #1


When my sister and I were about 6 & 7, my parents, along with our Babushka, all our local aunts and uncles,   took us to a farm. We were excited until we found out that they had planned to kill a giant pig! My uncles carrying shotguns started hunting and chasing the pig around the giant pen. It was squeeling for its life as if it knew it was the end. My sister and I screamed and began crying. The farmer's wife took pity on us and brought us inside the farmhouse to calm us down with milk and cookies and hopefully to distract us form what was about to happen outside. The we heard the shots and jumped up and ran outside to see one uncle standing over the pig, our Babushka, and another uncle gutting the insides pulling out long red strands of guts. My father was burning the hair off the pig..My sister and I couldn't watch anymore and ran back inside the farmhouse till we had to go home. I don't remember who got what of the pig but in our basement that we shared with Babushka was the head and assorted parts. Upstairs our Babushka pulled out the heavy machinery...giant grinders,sausage stuffers and silver contraptions that magically turned that once upon a time pig into neat strands of kielbasa, head cheese, pork chops and roasts and everyone's favorite "holodiets" or jellied meat. All the aunts and uncles got their share of the goods and we lived happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment